Days 47-48

Day 47, 6/14/23

Rice Field Shelter to Big Stony Creek Rd, VA 635

14.9 miles, mile 659.1

I certainly don’t think I will be camping in an open field on top of a ridge again. The wind was whipping all night long and I didn’t get much sleep. One of the stakes flew up around 4:00 a.m. and I didn’t enjoy scurrying to put it back in before the whole tent blew away. Kev and I got up at 6:00 a.m. because we wanted to get the 14.9 done quick so we could see Dad and get to the rental house to shower. We got to the road around 12:30 p.m. and Dad arrived shortly after. While we waited, I talked with another hiker named Hammer’s parents (it was great to meet you guys!). Mom made some delicious whoopie pies and other baked goods – I ate way too many in the car, and more at the house. The hiking today was very uneventful, we did see a deer but that’s becoming a daily trend. My left trekking pole ended up snapping within the last two miles, so we went to Roanoke and I upgraded my cheap Amazon poles to a pair of Leki’s. Hopefully these ones won’t snap on me! When we got to the house, I took a very long shower and got the laundry put in. Dad grilled up some fillets and oh my goodness it was amazing. This dinner was certainly a step up from my instant mashed potatoes that I’ve been having every night. I had to follow it up with dessert and made Kev and I orange soda floats. They hit the spot. I’m beyond grateful to have a bed tonight out of the wind, and to be able to slack pack tomorrow! I have the most supportive parents.

Day 48, 6/15/23

Big Stony Creek Rd, VA 635 to VA Route 630

19.4 miles, mile 678.5

It is so amazing to have an actual breakfast and a cup of good coffee before hiking. I was so excited to eat it I forgot to take a photo, so enjoy my half-eaten breakfast pictured below :). We booked it today! I feel like I can fly when I’m slack packing. I had my watch running because I knew I could charge it before we are back on the trail, and our average moving speed was 3.4 mph and the day had 4,500 feet of vertical gain. We did jog a bit on the downhills though. About 13 miles in there was some trail magic! I drank a Dr. Pepper, got to sit down in an actual chair, and pet an adorable pup. Dad was waiting for us when we got down to the road and I got to come back to a shower and delicious salmon dinner with risotto, asparagus, and wine. I will most definitely be making another float for dessert, and probably have some cookies too. Tomorrow we are taking a zero to hang out with Dad and will probably head into Roanoke to explore a little bit.

Affiliate Disclosure

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

What Do You Think?