Emily’s AT Thru-Hike Gear List
So I wasn’t going to actually do a gear list, but out of sheer curiosity I caved and made one. Through doing this, I realized a few things:
1. I don’t have gaiters, but would like a pair.
2. I really, REALLY love my gear.
With that, here’s my gear list, with weights and some prices included.
Pack: Women’s Deuter Act Lite 45+10: 3.5 lbs: $178
- Tent: Marmot Pulsar 1P– 2 lb. 15 oz: $270
- Sleeping Pad: Rei Flash Inflatable Pad– 1 lb: $99
- Sleeping bag: Kelty Cosmic Down 0– 3lbs. 12oz: $225
Cold Weather Clothing:
- Jacket: Mountain Hardwear MicroRatio– 1.9 oz: $180
- Zip up Fleece: Target– 0.5 lbs: $39
- Baselayer Bottoms: Nike- 7 oz: $20 (BOOYAH CLEARANCE!)
- Baselayer Top: Target- 3.8 oz: $15
- Fleece Baraclava- Amazon Special – 3.2 oz: $10
- Dollar Store Gloves- $1 (They weigh nothing)
- Pants: REI Convertibles– Couldn’t find weight: $20***
- Top: Danskin Active Top-Wal-Mart- 4 oz: $5
- Compression Shorts (Long)- C9 Target- 6.4 oz: $18
- Sports Bra: Reebok- 7 oz: $20
- Head: BUFF!- 6 oz: $10
Warm Weather Clothing
- Shorts: Walmart Shorts- 3 oz: $10
- Top: Same as above
- Jacket: Same as above
I will be wearing random pairs of wool socks. Brands include the following:
- Kirkland Signature
- Darn Tough
Average weight: 3 oz.
Average cost so far: $10/ pair
- Merrell Moab Mid (Men’s)- 1.2 lbs: $120
- Flip flops- 1 oz: $1
Black Diamond Trail Pro Shock (Women’s)- 3 oz: $20***
Food and Water
- Stove: Trangia Spirit Burner – 5 oz: $14
- Fuel: Using HEET from local store- 12 oz: $3
- Cookset: Stanley Adventure Cookset- 13.6 oz: $20
- Water: Sawyer Mini Water Filter – 2 oz: $23
- Note: Currently have a 1 Liter platypus bag but will be getting a 2 liter- 1 oz: $10
- Water Bottle: Whatever water bottles acquired in towns
- FrogToggs Rain Poncho– 8.8 oz: $18
- Soap: Dr. Bronner’s- 8 oz: $3
- Contacts/Lense Solution: 1.5 oz.
- Toilet Paper: Weight will vary
- Trowel: 3 oz.
- Baby Wipes: 1.1 lbs.
- Gold Bond: 1 oz.
- Hand Sanitizer : 1 oz.
Total: Approximately $15-20
Stuff sacks will be random. Some I already own, some I made. I will also be purchasing a box (or two) of stuff sacks from good ‘ol WallyWorld.
GoPro Hero 3 – 4.8 oz. – $300
Total Spent: Approximately $1,714
My base weight is around 14.13 lbs.. I plan on carrying 2 lbs. of food and carrying enough food for 3-6 days. I plan on carrying two liters of water (around 4.3 lbs) at most times… making my pack about 28.84 lbs. (at 5 days worth of food).
I’ll chalk that up to a win.
***These items were purchased through the REI Garage Sales. Garage sales are the bee’s knees and they have WONDERFUL customer service.
I also have some backup gear just in case shit goes sour and my gear breaks. I have my first pack ever, which is a High Sierra External Frame weighing in at a BEAUTIFUL 6 lbs.! I also have a 0 degree synthetic mummy bag that weighs about 5 lbs. I have a 45 degree sleeping bag that I’m considering switching out to when I get to Pennsylvania, mainly because I live about 20 minutes from the Wind Gap trailhead, and it just seems to make sense (carrying a 0 degree bag in Pennsylvania heat will in fact be miserable).
We’ll have to wait and see though. Anyway, that’s my gear list. I may have forgotten a thing or two, but I think that is all.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.