First Week Ups & Downs

The start

My family and girlfriend drove me up and dropped me off at Amicalola Falls State Park on Sunday February 13th.  I got my AT tag, took the required arch pictures, and then got dropped above the falls because I was short on time.  I started hiking around noon and got to the top of Springer around 2:30.  Took some pics, talked to one other thru-hiker, and got rolling.  I got to hike into the night and arrived at Gooch Mountain Shelter at 8pm after ~23 miles on the day.  There was way more people there than I expected but nothing like the late March bubble in 2019.

Springer Start with great weather

The Ups of Thru-hiking

I got a slow start due to the cold, late night, and no need to rush on day 2.  And after a mile I ran into my first trail magic – given out by the famous Fresh Ground of the Leapfrog Cafe.  I got out of there quick after some food though due to the marathon day coming.  Weather was a bit chilly but nothing too bad and I was making good time.  I even found a coke left by my lovely parents at the next gap.
I did go slow up Blood Mountain but a snack fixed that.  And then I hit the sun at the top, had the huge burst of joy, and damn near ran down the mountain to Mountain’s Crossing.  Got a pizza and some drinks then hung out with some other hikers while eating.  Everything that is perfect about being a thru-hiker.

Fresh Ground doing trail magic!


With ten more miles to go on day two I rolled my left ankle outwards and tumbled down slowly to avoid more damage.  It was just a silly rock hiding under some leaves.
After gathering my thoughts, I went ahead and plowed the next ten miles to the shelter.  With about a mile to go I barely rolled it again and that was when I realized how unstable my ankle was.  It was hard to take a look at it in the dark without bothering my new shelter mates so I just fell asleep after 27 miles.
In the morning I realized how gnarly it looked so I pulled my escape plan. A wonderful friend from my first thru-hike who is also trail famous, Circuit Rider, connected me to locals who picked me up ten miles later at a gap.  I spent the afternoon icing the ankle and making plans for the future.

Looks gnarly! But doesn’t really hurt. My foot looking like a balloon is worth a laugh


The ankle looks gnarly, but pain is minimal.  After talking to a doctor friend and a PT friend I doubt I have fractures, especially after hiking 20 miles on it.  I am going to take a few days to let the swelling go down.
Mentally I’m in a good headspace.  Thru-hiking is all about overcoming obstacles and challenges.  This is just the first of many this year.
I also have some time flexibility.  Anything I don’t get done on the AT before heading west I will finish southbound in October and November.
Does this sting it happened so early?  Sure.  But I have handled it mentally better than I would expected.  I’m locked into the mode of “obstacle happens” then work on devising solutions.
Keep hiking my friends.

Affiliate Disclosure

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

Comments 2

  • Coach : Jul 11th

    So are you done?

    • Isaac : Jul 20th

      This was in February. I’m back on trail and have completed 1,750 miles of the AT and 2,100 miles of the PCT. I should be finishing the PCT in the next few weeks then heading towards the CDT.


What Do You Think?