“He Gone!” Stuff I Threw Out* My First Week
*By “threw out,” I mean, gave to my AT mentor to send to my parents, or the ATC ridge runner truck to give to a hiker box.
This is what my brother (who watches ESPN) says all the time. The sports announcers say this this when a guy gets thrown out of a game or gets fouled out.
So here’s my “He gone!” list of what I threw out my first week of thru-hiking:
* The journal that days ago I praised as an essential – he gone!
* The extra mirror and sunscreen and headlamp – they gone!
* The bandanna and stocking cap – they gone!
* The knife and Leatherman tool and firestarters – they gone! (I still have the lighter and small Swiss Army knife, though).
* The bajillion extra socks, pants, and hiker skirt – they gone!
Thank you, Mary Stewart, for the custom-made shakedown and to Katie “Captain Planet” Rapp for taking some of my extra stuff.
“Captain Planet, she’s our hero—takes AT anxiety—down to zero.”
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.