Why Thru-Hike? To Rediscover Self, Embrace Nature
I am thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail because:
- I want to take the path less traveled to redirect my outlook on our world today.
- I am in charge of my life, and adventure makes me happy.
- Being outside helps to wash away the stress from “real life” and I feel at peace.
- I’d like to disconnect from material things that clutter our minds and lives.
- If not this, then what? I don’t have a clear idea of what I want to do job-wise right now, but that’s OK. I’m not in any rush.
- I need to be challenged through something that I’m passionate about.
- I’m following my dream.
- Have you ever smelled the woods in the spring? Or anytime, really.
- I absolutely love wildlife, and what better opportunity to see them than this.
- I love this Earth, especially the mountains.
- Humans used to only travel by foot, and life is too easy now.
- As much as I love and appreciate my life now, a comfortable routine drives me crazy after a while.
- I like exploring new places on my own (and with friends, too).
- I am physically and mentally capable of this.
- Completing is a huge accomplishment that I have the opportunity and urge to take on. It would be a shame if I didn’t.
- Bad days are inevitable anywhere, so why not have them where your heart is most content?
- Some of the worst moments end up being hilarious stories.
- This trail follows along one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world, and I want to travel it.
- I want to live simply where that lifestyle is accepted and encouraged.
- Everything that happens from this point on is because I made it happen, and that’s powerfully rewarding.
- I’d like to make my family and friends proud.
- I actually enjoy problem-solving and getting creative when in a pickle.
- Hiking and being along a trail gives me enough direction to feel safe, while still allowing me that freedom to make decisions for myself.
- I want to regain parts of myself that I feel like I’ve lost in the past.
- Some examples: I want to be more confident in myself, trust others more, and get more out of my comfort zone.
- Little things make me really happy, like the fact that some shelters have fireplaces really excites me. Or knowing that I’ll be hungry and active enough to enjoy a gallon of ice cream. Yeah, sign me up.
- I like following the cycle of the sun. Sleep when the sun sets, and wake when it rises. It’s so natural.
- I told a friend I wouldn’t go to Maine until I walked there.
- I know this would make the younger version of myself really proud.
- Ultimately, when I die, I want to be happy about what I did.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.