Leap Year and Current Gear
(The featured imaged is from Garden of the Gods.)
I’ve been slacking as far as blogging goes.
Do not be alarmed! I’m still going to thru hike. I decided on February 29th as my start date because it’s leap year and that’s awesome.
3 months and 15 days… But, who’s counting. I have heard from a few people that this winter isn’t going to be a harsh one (knock on wood).
I’m going to be honest…I haven’t been putting as much time into training and planning as I should. Taking 18 credit hours my last semester before graduation was a bad decision on my part. Since I graduate in the middle of December; I will have the rest of December, all of January, and all of February to kick everything trail into gear. The only downside is I will be moving back home for these months. I love ya mom, but a recent college graduate doesn’t dream of this.
On the bright side I have almost all of my gear!
My Big 3:
Backpack: Klymit Motion 60 … 41.4 oz.
- I am in love with this pack so far. No complaints.
Sleeping bag(s)Big Agnes Bellyache… 2 lb 7 oz
- This bag is a bit on the heavy side but it offers ridiculous comfort. I’ll be using this as my winter bag with a liner. I also got it on sale through Steep and Cheap. Booya!
Zpacks 30 degree… 14.0 oz
- Great customer service. Great bag. I didn’t know I could be this passionate about a sleeping bag. Might be an issue…
Sleeping pad: Therm-a-Rest Z lite Sol … 12 ish oz.
- I cut off two bottom rectangles and don’t have a scale…12 oz is my guess. I’ve had this pad for a year now and find it really comfortable. My grandma’s spare bed has egg crate foam so the feel of this pad is nostalgic.
- It’s convenient to fold up and sit on. I’ve taken it to a few outside concerts and a lot of people sitting on towels were hatin’ on my comfort.
Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2… 1 lb 15 oz
- Haven’t used this piece of gear too much yet. I’ve read all of the reviews I could stand to read before making my purchase. So far, so good.
- Sawyer squeeze… 3 oz
- Marmot PreCip Rain jacket… 12 oz
- Jetboil Flash… 15.25 oz
- Bedrock Sandals– Gabbro… 8.6 oz . This brand is actually my first sponsor! Great sandals made by even better people.
That’s about it for now except for some pieces of clothing!
I can’t wait to graduate so I can spend countless hours prepping.
Until next time, folks!
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.