Pinhoti Trail: Got move my on

Day: 5

Random Thought of The Day:

That’s a creek crossing. This part of the trail is a cruise! Please take me off this ridge!

Yesterday’s Goals:

Completing the road walk area and returning onto the dirt path for the next few days.

Activities of The Day:

Today, I started with going and getting my Pinhoti Trail Tag. The office was not open when we got there. So we went to DG and got my Kool-Aid. When we returned, they were open, and I am number 379 of all tags handed out.

The Pinhoti Tag along with the Bam to Baxter Tag

I then got dropped off on the road where I had been picked up from three days before, and I started walking around nine. I walked past a horse shortly after. I am positive that he wanted to give me a lift. I’m sure he would have taken me to the Canadian border.

This  horse lookes bored and wants to go to Canada

The trail went into the woods several miles later. The trail took me over a hill around some clear-cutting areas across a main road. Then, I came to a water crossing. The creek was about mid-shin deep, not bad at all. One thing is for sure: my feet loved it! They felt rejuvenated after crossing the creek.

The creek I had to cross

After that, I stopped walking around the puddles and stomped through them. Not long after the crossing was Helen’s Field. When the land was purchased, a promise was made that Helen would be honored.

Helen’s Field

A few miles later, the trail returned to a road walk for two and a half miles. A handful of chickens, a goat, and a little pig greeted me in one house, singing their family songs. I enjoyed their melody.

Chicken, baby bacon, and a goat

Once the trail turned off the road, I stopped, ate, and let my feet breathe. From there, the trail was well taken care of. I was able to cruise, and I felt great. As I approached a cell tower, someone was yelling. I could not make out what he was saying. It turns out one of the two dogs the gentleman had run off. He asked me if I had seen a dog coming up the trail. I had not seen a dog. This did not make him feel any better. Several hours later, when I got to my campsite, there was another hiker. She asked me if I received a text about the missing dog. I told her the story and then texted the Pinhoti Outdoor Center, asking if the dog was found. The dog was out having his best life for those two and a half hours it took me to get to my campsite! He had just returned when I inquired, worn out but in good shape. I am happy that he found his way back to his owner.

I ate dinner and talked to my boys for a while, and then I went to bed sometime around 630.
Today was the furthest I have walked on the trail, with a whopping 15 miles! I feel great.

What’s Ahead:

Tomorrow is a lot more ridge walking and traversing mountains. I don’t mind this. The trail is smooth, and I can stretch my legs out.


To walk another 15 miles to a lake. It appears there are hardly any water points between here and there. Hopefully, there will be a cache at one of the road crossings.


Weather: 45 and sunny
Mileage of the day:  15
Mileage on Trail: 39/330
Days on Trail: 6
Number of Zero’s: 2
Number of Nero’s:
States: Alabama
Trails completed:
The good: I was able to get some decent mileage in.
The Bad: I was not able to ride the horse to Canada





Thank you for following along!

Affiliate Disclosure

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

What Do You Think?