The AT’s Honey-Do List
As I sit here writing this I am a mere week away from quitting my job. I, a 26 year old kid, am only 7 days away from “retirement”. However, if you have been keeping up with my posts you’ll know that Michelle and I are not stepping foot onto the trail until May 17th. If you haven’t been keeping up with my posts then you wouldn’t know that, which is cool too I guess… So why the long gap?
Something that doesn’t get much press when talking about the AT is the tedious chores you have to take care of before leaving. I don’t blame people, it’s not the most glamorous aspect. I have a plethora of things to get accomplished, and I need that month in between work and the start date to take care care of it all. Plus I want a little R&R before my strenuous vacation.
So to get to brass tax, the following is the list of things I need to take care of before leaving. Not all of it may be applicable to your life, but some of it may help you save money/make life easier while you’re on your own thru hike.
- 401K – During my brief extent in adulthood I’ve managed to start a 401K (woohoo). Since I’m leaving my job, it makes no sense to keep it tied to the company. Instead, I will transfer this to an IRA account at my bank, so it can sit there and collect dust. Exciting stuff, right?
- Insurance – In my case, lack of job means lack of insurance. I have no real suggestion on what plan is the best, I haven’t even decided what will work best for me.
- Adjust Phone Bill – I really don’t see a need to have that much 4G while out on the trail. It’s not like there’s a lot coverage out there anyways. I’m going to lower my plan to 1GB and rely on WiFi in towns for internet.
- Cancel Streaming Subscriptions – This is gonna piss my friends off who mooch on my Netflix and HBOgo. Suck it Aaron, I know it’s you.
- Sell Unneeded Items/ Car – I don’t have much, but I don’t really have a place to store what stuff I do own. I’d keep it at my parents house, but they’re moving, so I’m getting rid of most of it. This includes my car. I don’t feel like keeping insurance on it and paying to store it somewhere.
- Water Seal Tent and Other Crap – Who am I kidding? My gear is going to get soaked no matter what. Here’s to wishful thinking!
There’s some other crap I have to get done, but it’s mostly trivial shit. If you think I’ve missed out on anything important please let me know! Seriously though, a brother needs to know that kinda stuff.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.
On the insurance, might look at a traveling policy for your trip. The hiking Vikings, Keep between the blaze, production whom hiked the AT 2015. Look at that option. Not sure think it was about 500.00