Top Ten Reasons That Thru-Hikers are Like Toddlers
10. They are fascinated by slimy things such as snakes, centipedes, and snails.
9. They seem to have boundless energy, but are in bed by 8 p.m.
8. They get to play outside all day.
7. They always want what they can’t have.
Ugh this mountain goes up forever… when will we get to go down? 5 minutes later… This downhill hurts my knees, when can we go up again?
6. They like to splash in puddles. Well my feet are wet anyway.
5. They like to brag about their toys (gear), but still want the newest and shiniest toy.
4. They’re somehow always sticky or dirty even after a bath.
3. They’re proud of their poop. I swear it was like this big! In a real toilet too, I flushed it and everything!
2. When given the chance to pick their own food, they choose mostly candy and cookies.
1. They whine a lot. I’m tired… my feet hurt… are we there yet? Whining is generally resolved with a nap and/or a snack.
Thru hikers may be a handful, but you can’t help but love us! You may just want to have a juice box handy.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.
Snakes are not slimy.
Love your insight! Thank you and hope we meet on the trail!
Bushy and Sparks 2017