Backpacker Radio 57: Crazy Jack Northam on Summiting Whitney ~200 Times, Listener Poop Stories, and The Top Tents on the Appalachian Trail
We are joined by Crazy Jack Northam. Crazy Jack earned his name by summiting Mount Whitney (the highest peak in the United States’ Lower 48) nearly 200 times, an endeavor he didn’t begin until the ripe age of 50. Today, Jack is 72 years old and still going strong.
He regales us with tales of his many ascents up his favorite mountain, why he chooses to summit the same peak, his yo-yo hikes on Whitney, his climbs beginning at the nearby town of Lone Pine, and how he stumbled into some seriously historic butter. Chaunce and I close out the show by highlighting the top shelters on the Appalachian Trail, give an official ruling on the best Doritos flavor, do the Triple Crown of food items remaining in your bag when you get to town, and get into a new recurring segment, Listener Poop Stories.
- Backpacker Radio SoCal Road Trip Presented by Sawyer!
- Use code “ATDrink15” at GossamerGear.com to save 15%
- Sawyer Picaridin Packets
- We’ve surpassed 1,000,000 downloads! We <3 our listeners very much.
- 2020 Trail Correspondents Application
- 2020 Trek Ambassador Program
- The 2020 Badger Sponsorship
- QOTD: How do you tie your trail runners for backpacking?
- How to tie your shoes with a heel lock
- Interview with Crazy Jack Northam
- How he got his trail name
- Why he continues to hike the same peak over and again
- His yo-yo hikes of Mount Whitney
- Search and rescue missions on Mount Whitney
- Jack’s time in the Marine Corps
- Advice for older hikers
- Trek Propaganda
- Triple Crown of food left in your bag when you get to town.
- Cinnamon Court (Jury Edition): Cool Ranch vs. Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Mailbag: How to convince your boss to give you five weeks off.
- Listener Poop Stories
- 5-star iTunes Reviews
- Intro Song: Walking Slow by Animal Years
- Intro beats: Pauly Boy Shallcross
- Check out Trail Correspondents
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to [email protected].
Support us on Patreon to get bonus content.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Andrew, Austen McDaniel, Cristopher Marshburn, Lance Whitley, S11N, Sawyer Products, Thomas Fullner, and Travis Smith.
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner, Jacob Northrup, Jeff LaFranier, Mark Snook, Michelle Pugh, Peter Leven, and Peter Ellenberg
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.