Day 27-29 Pine, Arizona

Day 27

I woke before the sun ready to crush it into town. I was hiking by 6 and hustling. The trail oscillated between smooth and littered with rocks. I kicked a couple in my haste and was immediately brought back to my weeks in Rocksylvania on the AT.

Luckily the miles floated away and I was entering town earlier than expected. The walk into Pine was short and easy. I stopped at That Brewery first. Since I was arriving on a Saturday, the post office was closed and I had Eric send my new shoes to the brewery. I appreciate the kindness the local businesses show the hikers, it really helps to have their support. The brewery was busy and I saw some hikers I had met before so I joined them at their table. It was nice to relax and enjoy some town food.

After a couple hours I had to get going to the pickup spot which happened to be the small grocery store. I picked up a pint of ice cream, not my beloved Ben and Jerry’s but any ice cream will do. A few other hikers joined me and we got picked up by trail angel Shannon who was hosting us at her home. Within hours we were clean and enjoying a delicious macaroni and cheese dinner prepared for us. We sat around chatting for a bit but eventually my hiking early bedtime hit me and I crawled into my bunk and fell into a deep sleep.

Day 28

I went back downtown for the day and enjoyed a well deserved 0 day in Pine. Unfortunately I fell prey to the ever present problem of a communal fridge at a workplace or home…someone else consumed all my drinks. The worst of it was I didn’t notice until after I had returned from the market in town. Since it was my only day off I wasn’t keen to walk another 3 miles back to get more. Such a bummer but what was done was done and I was still going to enjoy my zero. I enjoyed meeting the new hikers staying for the night and got ready for the next day on trail.

Day 29

The sun was up and it was time to get back on trail! One of the people working at Shannon’s made us a french toast breakfast to start our day right! My new shoes were fresh! I said goodbye to my faithful Timps and doned my new Lone peaks.

We left town in the morning and I set off trying to get some miles in. Normally I move so slowly my first day back on trail. It’s like trying to get your stride back. I hiked through red dirt areas and took short breaks. I ran by some people doing trail maintenance. Trail was looking really nice! I heard the stretch between Pine and Flagstaff, the next town is pretty cruisy.

By 5 I hit 17 miles and decided that was good enough for the first day after a 0. I set up in a small area near a creek. I was glad I got here as early as I did because within minutes of getting my tent up. 3 other hikers arrived and claimed spots all within minutes of each other. I think everyone had the same idea out of town. I enjoyed quiet night near the creek. Some rain sprinkles hit my tent for a few seconds, I think this is my first “rain” on trail. Got to love that desert hiking.

Affiliate Disclosure

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

What Do You Think?