Managing Editor (Full Time / Contract)
The Trek is hiring a Managing Editor
Do you have a robust love for grammar, editorial calendars, managing writers, and a love for long distance backpacking? Want to work with USA TODAY’s Top Hiking and Outdoor Blog?
Here’s your shot!
The Trek is looking for someone to come help lead the future of The Trek’s editorial. The selected candidate will be in charge of a host of tasks, including but not limited to: managing The Trek’s editorial calendar, editing contributors’ posts, managing a team of interns, and working directly with The Trek’s founder and editor-in-chief, Zach Davis.
- Has experience in editing others’ articles
- Has experience in writing backpacking-focused content
- Is a strong writer and communicator, with an eye for detail
- Is highly organized, being able to manage spreadsheets for contributor pitches, timelines, gear reviews, and more
- Must have the availability to work ~40 hours per week
- Is a self-starter and doesn’t require constant supervision to stay busy
- Has long distance backpacking or thru-hiking experience
- Ability and desire to stay updated on the outdoor industry and trail community
- Has own laptop or computer and Internet access
- Knowledge of WordPress
- Proficiency with Google Drive
- Is comfortable working odd schedules
- This is a full-time job
- Contract work starting in April going through September
- Possibility for full-time work beyond September
- Must be available (i.e. not on a long trail) this summer
- Ideally will be available to travel to Denver (paid by The Trek) for Summer Outdoor Retailer (6/23-25)
This is a remote position, though local candidates have the option to work from The Trek’s HQ in Golden, CO.
If you’re interested, please send cover letter, resume, and questions to [email protected].
ft image via @lt.cookoobird