Meet the Winner(s) of the 2014 Badger Sponsorship
Last week we announced the 2014 edition of the Badger Sponsorship where one AT thru-hiker would walk away with the following prizes:
- One (1) Gossamer Gear Backpack (which I use, and love)
- Twelve (12) boxes of LARABARs. (you pick the flavors)
- Four (4) weather-proof Innate Mentor Storage Sacs (I used these during my thru-hike and each backpacking trip since – they’re amazing)
- Three (3) mail drops while on trail (courtesy of our friends at A Trail Life)
- One (1) pair of Bedrock Sandals
- Four (4) cases of Salazon Chocolate Bars (two cases of caramel and two cases of the turbinado cane sugar – 48 bars total)
- A gear consultation with Ian Mangiardi (AT + PCT thru-hiker / gear junkie / Modern Explorer Inc founder)
- A Free Signed Copy of Appalachian Trials
- A Free e-Book Copy of Appalachian Trials
- Zach’s phone number for 24/7 emotional support and unlimited bad jokes
- One of the final Appalachian Trials Blogger spots for 2014 (equal parts optional and a great opportunity to share your AT story)
Contestants were asked to provide a 90 second video on why they should be chosen as the winner. The video with the most Facebook “Likes” would receive the above grand prize package.
This year saw the most creative videos in the history of this giveaway. I was sincerely blown away with the energy that went into this year’s submissions. Similarly, the amount of support behind these videos also set a new high water mark. In a nutshell, 2014 was the year the Badger Sponsorship took the next step – and this is 100% a result of our aspiring thru-hikers. Regardless of where you finished in this contest, the spirit you poured into your 90 second pitch showed us your dedication. I am confident that each of you will have great success on your thru-hike.
Because the quality of the submissions for this year’s contest was so great, I bent on my original rule of only allowing ten videos; there were 17. LARABAR and Salazon Chocolate originally agreed to awarding these top ten contestants, but they were so moved by your videos that they have agreed to give prizes to all 17! A huge thank you to LARABAR and Salazon Chocolate. I will be including a free e-book copy of Appalachian Trials to each contest as well.
And, the moment you’ve been waiting for.
The winner of the 2014 Badger Sponsorship is…
Congratulations to Mike Dale for winning the 2014 Badger Sponsorship!!! Your last minute push proved to be too much. Well done!
In second place was Bennett Travers. If your sense of humor is any indication of your long distance backpacking ability, there’s no doubt that you’ll “f*cking crush the Trail”. A free Gossamer pack, a few weather-proof Innate Mentor Storage Sacs, some Bedrock Sandals, four boxes of LARABARs, some chocolate, a signed book, and a Appalachian Trials Blogger spot is your consolation.
And in third place was Chase and Kelley. “Knowing there are hundreds of strangers out there supporting me would really boost my spirits.” Well Kelley, your spirits ought to be a mile-high, where the belong 🙂 Enjoy your three weather-proof Innate mentor storage sacs, Bedrock Sandals, four boxes of LARABAR, Salazon Chocoloate, signed copy of Appalachian Trials, and an Appalachian Trials Blogger spot.
A huge thank you to all those who participated – voters and contestants – and a HUGE thank you this year’s sponsors Gossamer Gear, LARABAR, Innate Gear, A Trail Life, Bedrock Sandals, Salazon Chocolate, and Modern Explorer Inc.
And if you want to be in the loop for future giveaways (and other Appalachian Trail awesomeness), be sure to join the Appalachian Trials newsletter. Also check us out on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Zach (aka Badger)
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.