Backpacker Radio #35 | Weezer on Hiking Sober, Processing Grief, and Metamorphosis on the Pacific Crest Trail
In today’s episode of Backpacker Radio, presented by The Trek, recorded at Wayfinder, I sit down with Weezer, a 2018 PCT hiker with one hell of a story. We talk about what it’s like to thru-hike in the PCT’s bubble as a sober person, an incredibly sad life event she had to endure while on trail, and how the trail has played a role in her metamorphosis to a better life. We get a new thru-hiker of the week and close out with a triple crown of PCT restaurants, joined by special guest Puma. This is an emotionally dense, yet ultimately, uplifting show. Grab the tissues, this one is a tear jerker.
Subjects discussed in the episode include:
- Recorded at Wayfinder in Denver
- Use code “thetrek” at us.foursigmatic.com (our link) to save 15%
- Sawyer’s International Website
- Sawyer Squeeze vs. Sawyer Micro Squeeze
- Use code “BACKPACKERRADIO5” for 5% off your order at zpacks.com
- Weezer’s top advice for first time thru-hikers
- Weezer’s Big 3
- Fires on the Pacific Crest Trail in 2018
- Her experiences hiking the PCT sober
- Advice for people who want to thru-hike sober
- Weezer’s Instagram: @stephlotus_
- Trail Angles on the Pacific Crest Trail by Laura Johnston
- How to Get to the CDT Southern Terminus by Megan McGowan
- PCT hiker who ate only McDoubles over 90 mile stretch
- Thru-Hiker of the Week: @honcebonce
- Puma’s Backpacker Radio Episode
- Triple Crown of PCT Restaurants
- Cabazon Casino Buffet
- Bear Creek Cafe (now The Station Cafe)
- Stehekin Bakery
- Buffet at Timberland Lodge
- Seiad Valley Cafe
- Paradise Valley Cafe
- Sonora Cantina (Big Juan burrito challenge)
- Thai Hachapi
- Thunder Island Brewing
- Mom’s Pie House
- Yaks on the 5
- Leave us a review on iTunes
- Danny Devito
- Song: Walking Slow by Animal Years
- Check out Trail Correspondents!
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to [email protected].
Support us on Patreon to get bonus content.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Michael W Hinkley, S11N, Sawyer Products, Todd Cartner, and Travis Smith
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner and Peter Leven
Intro music via.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.