Backpacker Radio #36 | Jon “Airborne” Schwarze on His PCT Yo-Yo
In today’s episode of Backpacker Radio, presented by The Trek, I am joined by Jon Schwarze, also known as Airborne. Despite this being his first thru-hike, last year Airborne became just the fifth person to yo-yo the Pacific Crest Trail (which is to thru-hike the same trail in both directions in less than one year). We go balls deep on everything that went into this trek, including the differences between his NOBO and SOBO hike, his gear, his bizarre and demanding diet, what it was like meeting Scott Williamson, and how his background (despite having limited backpacking experience) played a major role in his success. We also get into some Trek Propaganda, two lies and a truth, a mailbag, and much more.
Subjects discussed in the episode include:
- Recorded at Wayfinder in Denver
- Use code “TREK15” at GossamerGear.com to save 15%
- Sawyer’s International Website
- Sawyer Squeeze vs. Sawyer Micro Squeeze
- Use code “thetrek” at us.foursigmatic.com (our link) to save 15%
- Recorded at Wayfinder in Denver, CO
- Premature Evaluation: Hoka One One Challenger ATR 5
- What is a Yo-Yo?
- Background in sports
- Difference calf sleeve makes for hiking
- How he got his trail name
- Why he uses tampons
- His bizarre diet
- Biggest mileage day
- Airborne’s Gear
- Where the mosquitos were the worst
- Condor Trail
- The California drought is done
- TREK PROPAGANDA
- Wisdom from 2018 Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers (Pt. I)
- Wisdom from 2018 Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers (Pt. II)
- Wisdom from 2018 Pacific Crest Trail Thru-Hikers (Pt. I)
- Wisdom from 2018 Pacific Crest Trail Thru-Hikers (Pt. II)
- Wisdom from 2018 Continental Divide Trail Thru-Hikers (Pt. I)
- Wisdom from 2018 Continental Divide Trail Thru-Hikers (Pt. II)
- How to Prevent and Treat 7 Common Thru-Hiking Foot Problems
- Two lies and a truth
- 5-star iTunes Reviews
- Danny Devito
- Song: Walking Slow by Animal Years
- Check out Trail Correspondents!
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to [email protected].
Support us on Patreon to get bonus content.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Michael W Hinkley, S11N, Sawyer Products, and Travis Smith
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner and Peter Leven
Intro music via.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.