Resistance is Insidious
Resistance is a funny thing. It always comes up when I’m about to do something that’s really important to me. Today, it was snowing and super slushy outside, so I decided to stay inside and work on my resupply strategy. I opened my computer and clicked on Craig’s PCT Planner. Before I could begin, I needed my Yogi’s PCT Handbook, which happens to reside in my backpack (no it won’t be there for the trail, it’s just acting as weight right now). I got up to get my handbook, and this is what happened next:
Things I Did Instead of my Resupply Plan:
- Went shopping for rain boots – I have a perfectly good pair of Gortex hiking boots that will suffice
- Cleaned the snow off my bikes and the roof of the RV – ok, this kinda did need to be done
- Put stuff away – items that have been sitting out for a couple of weeks suddenly needed to be put away
- Went shopping for slippers – it’s cold in the RV!
- Bought gaiters – so I wouldn’t have an excuse for not hiking in the snow
- Bought new workout gear – to wear to the gym for pre-trail workouts, and hey, it was on sale
- Put up more twinkly lights – the ones we had up just weren’t enough
- Put a load of laundry in – good for at least an hour and a half of resistance
- Made dinner – a girl’s gotta eat
- Wrote this blog – now for some pictures
The reasons seem valid, but really I just spent the day in resistance. Recognizing and accepting this, I can get back to my resupply plan. Wait, I just have to check Instagram first…
NOTE: The title “Resistance is Insidious” is the title of Section 15 in Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art (I highly recommend this book)
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.