The Daily Grind in Washington

After more than four months of hiking, I have about 2.5 weeks left on trail. At this point most things feel routine, although the scenery varies and I can feel the seasons changing. I am excited to get to Canada, to complete what I started, but I am also a little sad that it’s coming to a close.

I know this is obvious, but thru-hiking is a LOT of walking. Each day I get up to the sound of my alarm around 6 a.m. and get walking by 6:45 a.m. Other than two morning breaks, lunch, and an afternoon break, we basically walk until around 6:30 to 7p.m. By now I have a good idea of how I’ll feel at each point during the day, and when I’ll probably plug in to music or podcasts.

Once we got to Cascade Locks, Flamingo and I went to Cannon Beach, where we were hosted by some friends that I met on a bicycle tour in 2016. They were amazing hosts and helped us shop for and make our Washington boxes. We also had time to go to the beach, fly kites, and spend time looking out at the ocean.

After Cannon Beach we got back on the trail in Cascade Locks and walked over the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. Flamingo’s college friend Cordy joined us for the night, which was fun.

The first 100 miles of Washington consisted mostly of walking through lush forest. We started to get views of Mount Adams, Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainer. The trail wound up toward Mount Adams, and it was beautiful.

We lucked out and went through Goat Rocks on a beautiful day. As the afternoon progressed it started to cloud over and Flamingo’s hiking speed increased significantly with the chance of it getting stormy.

That evening it started to rain and the next day ended up being a fairly wet day of hiking. We hiked the Miriam Fire detour to White Pass, which was pretty steep and slow going. If anything it made me appreciate how nicely graded most of the PCT is!

My parents drove down to White Pass from BC so we could take a zero day with them. We had a great time and it was so nice to car camp and play football, Frisbee, cards, and bocce. I’m stoked they could meet Flamingo too because I’ve hiked so much of the trail with her. They’ll have to meet Tuna at the border.

Today we are getting back on the trail after Hot Tuna arrives – it will be a great reunion. The forecast is for several days of scattered showers so wish us luck.

Affiliate Disclosure

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

Comments 2

  • vickie biggs : Sep 14th

    Hi TayTay
    loved reading your blog again. what an odessy you are on! Keep caring for those tender tootsies. you’ll be home soon.
    xo Vickie

  • Pat Donnelly : Sep 14th

    Wow! Taylor, I can’t believe that you are now in Washington state. You’ve come a long ways. All the best as you continue your journey. Cheers.


What Do You Think?