Training at Jenks Lake with my dog – T minus 8 days!!!
We are one week away from starting our hike on the CCT California Coastal Trail. I wanted to get one more training day in to get things set. I had been thinking a lot about my hikes in the past (30 years ago) to Mt San Gorgonio and I remembered a lake that was near the starting point of that hike, Jenks Lake. Perfect, I thought for the hike. I didn’t know that it was a man made lake until I read the plaque that was near the lake.
1. My dog is a loving little girl.
2. She loves playing in rivers and creeks. She loves chasing rabbits and lizards.
3. At present, she can can hike 10 – 12 miles a day. (Hopefully she will build to 15) She is so stubborn, so this will definitely be up to her!!!
4. Her paws are something I am learning about each hike. I have a variety of tools I am using: Mushers secret, stick on foot treads, vet tape and duct tape.
5. She is more important than miles. So all decisions on the hike will be based on her safety and her well being. Although, she does love to have fun, so I am expecting a very fun, adventurous and exciting hike. Also, I truly believe she is part Billy Goat because she loves to climb rocks.
Comments with advice or personal experience hiking with a dog is much appreciated!!!
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.
I am so excited to hear all about your trip this summer. Piper is one lucky girl! Have fun! Be safe! =)
Avina, I miss you already!!! Have fun this summer and keep adding on those pounds. Hahaha you know what I mean. Hahaha World here you come!!!
Seashell what and amazing trip you have planned. I can’t wait to travel with you through your posts!!! Sorry you needed to send Piper home, but it was a solid decision!!! 💗Tiggers