Backpacker Radio # 27: Bill Manning of the Colorado Trail Foundation, The Top Sleeping Bags on the Appalachian Trail, and Chaunce’s Big Surprise
In today’s episode of Backpacker Radio, the Cinnamon Connection catches up with Bill Manning, the Executive Director at the Colorado Trail foundation. We do a deep dive on all things Colorado Trail related, including the best time to hike the trail, the biggest mistakes aspiring thru-hikers make, and the inner workings for keeping such a beautiful trail afloat. Chaunce lets us in on a mega surprise, and we cover the most popular sleeping bags used on the AT last year.
- Gossamer Gear Anniversary Video
- Sawyer Permethrin
- Sawer Micro vs. Sawyer Squeeze
- Chaunce’s big reveal
- How to Get to Springer Mountain
- Barefoot Hills Hostel (formerly Hiker Hostel)
- NikWax Down Wash
- DownTek Products
- Loksak Opsak
- Bill Manning interview
- Bill’s backpacking experience – has done full length of the CT split between horse, bike, and hike
- Difference between cycling and hiking route
- Do you notice tension between the bikers and hikers
- How he got involved with Colorado Trail Foundation
- Responsibilities as executive director
- Difference between Trail Crews and Adopt-a-Trail
- Why do Trail Crews cost money?
- What kind of skills does someone need to work on a trail crew?
- The biggest challenges the CT currently faces?
- Biggest mistakes Bill sees people make who want to thru-hike the CT
- Recommendations for dealing with altitude
- NOBO / SOBO/ SWOBO / NEBO?
- How has the trail changed since Bill’s involvement with the CTF
- How have hikers changed
- Story of Gudy Gaskill
- Collegiate East vs Collegiate West
- Bill’s favorite section of trail
- What does the future of the Colorado Trail look like?
- What to do if you see a moose.
- What’s the most bizarre story Bill’s heard on trail?
- Ideal time to start the trail
- [email protected]
- Colorado Trail Photos
- Trek propaganda
- The Top Sleeping Bags, Quilts and Pads on the Appalachian Trail
- TOP BRANDS
- 1. Enlightened Equipment
- 2. Rei
- 3. Kelty and Big Agnes
- TOP SLEEPING BAG MODELS
- TOP QUILTS
- TOP SLEEPING PADS
- Fan mail ([email protected])
- 5-Star Reviews
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to [email protected].
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Sawyer Products, Travis Smith, and S11N.
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner, Andre Oosthuizen, Randy Harter, and Peter Leven
Intro music via.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.