Hello family, friends, people who don’t know us, people who will get to know us, people who will wish they didn’t get to know us! This is our very first blog post for Appalachian Trials and we are SO excited! We have been thinking about what to post since we were accepted to the 2016 class of bloggers back in November (that was a GREAT day), but we’ll just start by introducing ourselves a little. We are Josh and Maranda, a happily married couple living in Cleveland, Georgia and we are starting our NOBO thru-hike in March. We have been hiking and climbing all over North Georgia since college and we completely fell in love with the mountains, the trails and the beauty that the land has to offer. We graduated from college and decided to get hitched (we figured since we’d been dating since the 11th grade, we might as well make it official) in May 2014, and have been begrudgingly living “adult life” (jobs, bills, blah blah blah) since then. We decided to do the AT when we were in college, but we didn’t really take the idea of a thru-hike seriously until last year. By the way, if you decide to follow our journey on this blog, you might notice a difference in writing styles, verbiage, and the increased usage of bathroom humor (Josh really loves a good poop joke). That’s because we will be alternating who updates the blog. We really want people to be able to see the trail through both of our eyes, as well as collectively as a young couple. So, here are some fun facts about us:
Fun Facts about Maranda:
- I love cats more than people.
- I have a degree in Early Childhood Education/Special Education.
- I am deathly allergic to nuts (trail food will be interesting!).
- I am a certified zip line guide.
- Taylor Swift is my spirit animal.
- I am never not craving cheese dip.
- I have seen every episode of The Office more times than I care to admit.
- I am the luckiest girl in the world to be married to my best friend, who is willing to go on this crazy, life-changing adventure with me.
Fun Facts about Josh:
- I am married to the most beautiful/loving/passionate woman in the world!
- I have an undergraduate degree in psychology (I know, what do you do with that?!), and I have a job I love.
- I have the most solid friend group (long live the VIII).
- Pizza is my all-time favorite food.
- I tend to be obsessive about something once I have it in my sights, so I have a lot of hobbies that I’m below average at.
- I bought an 80’s van and renovated it into a camper-van (see the above bullet point).
- LOST is my favorite show of all time. I’ve seen it 4 times, and it is NOT purgatory.
- I sometimes like to think I can freestyle rap.
If you made it to this point in the blog post, I’m sorry for what you just went through- but thanks for toughing it out! But seriously, thanks for taking the time to read this and we GREATLY look forward to sharing our adventure with you all.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.