Longing for Summer as Winter Hangs On

At Nature’s Inn Hostel and Cabins for a nero day as winter won’t let go. Last night at Hogback Ridge Shelter was interesting. I was sleeping in my tent and it was raining. Around four in the morning I heard a hoot owl calling. After a while, there was a response from farther off in the woods. Then the birds moved and the hooting changed to a guttural screeching. The birds moved again and came in real close. The noises they made hardly sounded bird-like. My guess is that they were mating and I just happened to be sleeping in their territory.

The Smokies

The Smokies were cloudy, windy, and cold. I had one day of sunshine out of five. Rocky Top was windswept with clouds sweeping across the balds. I did get a fantastic view of Lake Fontana from rickety Shuckstack tower early on. The shelters were crowded but well maintained. They were two-tiered with tarps across the open side. I unintentionally did my first 20-mile day. I missed my intended shelter (it was off the trail). I was a mile past when I asked a young southbounder if she recently passed a shelter. She was an exhausted teacher on break. Her name was Bright Eyes and she informed me that I had gone too far. I decided to race sunlight and go to the next shelter. Eventually I came to Newfound Gap and it was a parking lot full of tourists. I thought, so this is how the rest of the world is living. I headed straight to the bathroom and was treated to a wonderful commode. I headed up the mountain feeling energized. Eventually it started getting dark and for some reason I started thinking of bears. After about 15 minutes in the dark, I arrived. It was dark in the shelter and everyone was in their bags. Most people were still awake and I managed to squeeze into a spot on the bottom level. It was all I could do to set up my bed and brush my teeth. It was my first 20.

Zero in Hot Springs

The Smokey Mountain Diner in Hot Springs was a fantastic breakfast. I came down the mountain into town after hiking the three miles from the last shelter. It felt like spring, I heard a rooster crow, and then smelled skunk. I was anticipating a family visit and in high spirits. I hit the diner and had a double breakfast. Then I made it to the dilapidated laundromat. The only working dryer didn’t work. It took my money and rotated but didn’t heat. I put my wet clothes in a plastic bag and walked off to a local campground to visit with a couple I had met earlier. Later I met up with my wife and son. We ate and checked into our room. I hung a line to dry my clothes. The next day was a fantastic zero. We went to the hot springs and kicked around town in 70-degree weather. Parting the next day was difficult, since it had turned cold and rainy. Now I understand why people leave the trail.

Winter Returns

Looks like we are in for around five more days of winter weather. I seem to have lost my tolerance for cold weather after the two warm days in Hot Springs. Summer can’t come soon enough

Affiliate Disclosure

This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!

To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.

Comments 2

  • More Whimsy : Apr 15th

    Wonderful post, Victor. I enjoy your writing quite a bit. Savor this opportunity and have a great journey.

    • Victor : Apr 19th

      Thank you for your encouraging words. It’s difficult to find the time to blog while thru-hiking. The majority of ones time is spent hiking and sleeping. I will continue to gather my scattered thoughts 🙂


What Do You Think?