Backpacker Radio #47: Peter Bakwin of FastestKnownTime.com
In today’s episode of Backpacker Radio, we’re joined by Peter Bakwin, co-creator at fastestknowntime.com. We dive deep on all things FKT related, including his take on some of the more controversial FKTs, the proper way to document a speed record, and how he spearheaded this community. We also talk about Peter’s long and impressive background in backpacking and ultrarunning, including his unmatched rock-hard Hard Rock Run. We also have a new unpopular opinion segment, a patent pending, and much more.
Subjects discussed in the episode include:
- Use code “ATDrink15” at GossamerGear.com to save 15%
- Sawyer Picaridin Packets
- Use code “Trek10” at Greenbelly.co
- Apply to be a Vlogger / Blogger for The Trek!
- What is fastestknowntime.com and how did Peter get started with it?
- Their donation page
- Peter’s FKT’s
- JMT, Torres del Paine, Mt. Sanitas & other local trails
- Running a 3-mile loop for 12 hours straight
- Where did the term FKT come from?
- How did Peter come up with the categories – supported, unsupported, and self-supported
- Controversial FKTs
- Who referees issues
- Wildcard Ninja Appalachian Trail FKT fiasco
- Issues with faulty GPS trackers
- Peter’s background in backpacking
- Why shorter hikes over long-distance hiking?
- Adventuring with his wife
- Peter and Clay go way back – biking together in 1976
- Highlights from bike-packing adventures
- Peter’s Big 3
- The Hard Rock Double / Rock Hard Hard Rock
- Spirituality and meditation in relation to his endurance endeavors
- Trek Propaganda
- Casa de Luna and Hiker Heaven closing
- Unpopular opinions segment
- What is the minimum length for a thru-hike?
- Patent Pending
- 5-star Reviews
- Intro Song: Walking Slow by Animal Years
- Check out Trail Correspondents
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to [email protected].
Support us on Patreon to get bonus content.
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award winner(s) from Patreon: Christopher Mashburn, S11N, Sawyer Products, Todd Cartner, and Travis Smith
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions from Patreon: Gregory Gardner, Jacob Northrup, and Peter Leven
Intro music via.
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek's ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.